SELF-HELP FOR HAYFEVER
- Keep car windows and air intake closed.
- Avoid gardens, fields, picnics, barbecues, cut grass,
- Avoid city centres and areas of high traffic density
as far as possible.
- Wear good dark glasses which prevents pollen entering
the eyes and protects from UV
- Keep flowers outside, cut, potted and dried.
- Keep house dust-free (esp bedroom) - dust daily, use
a good vacuum cleaner with filter (Medivac) and clean
bedding, carpets, curtains and soft furnishings regularly.
- Use air-filters, eg Filtaire, to filter particles and
chemicals from the air. Change from feather pillows, etc
to a washable substance such as kapok or polyester. Cover
duvet pillows and mattress with a dust-proof fabric (eg
Slumberland, Intervent, Medibed).
- Keep windows closed.
- Avoid chemicals, including scents, scented cosmetics
and cleaning products, paints, solvents, glue, cigarette
smoke, (anything that smells is emitting a chemical substance).
These can make eyes, nose and throat more sensitive to
dust and pollen.
- Try to sleep in a cool bedroom, with the head propped
- Ban pets from bedrooms and avoid stroking and handling
- Take a good multimineral/vitamin antioxidant preparation
every day, ensuring optimum amounts of vitamin A (care
needed during pregnancy), vitamin C, zinc and selenium.
Improve Immune function during winter by optimal amounts
of Echinacea, Garlic and Co-Enzyme Q10, avoiding excess
sugar, coffee, alcohol, meat and dairy products and foods
that contain yeast - also chilled foods and ice cubes,
which will diminish the immunity of the throat.
- Blow your nose - do not wipe it as this spreads the
pollen. Try not to wipe your eyes - you will just rub
- Certain foods can exacerbate symptoms during the hayfever
season. Some people are helped by avoiding mucus-forming
wheat in their diet, others find that cutting out, or
down, the histamine-containing and histamine-releasing
foods is helpful (eg cheese, strawberries, shellfish,
tinned fish, pork).
- Don't smoke, cigarette smoke is an effective irritant
which makes symptoms worse.
- Alcohol will usually worsen symptoms.
- Avoid decongestant sprays, as they cause a rebound effect
- symptoms are made even worse as the drug's effect wears
- If using a therapy for house dust mites, use a 'Banamite'
which is non-toxic.
- Some of my patients have reported that drinking a glass
of water, in which a raw onion has been soaked for several
hours brings relief from their symptoms. Worth a try!
whether you are taking the correct supplements?
you were less stressed?
with motivation to keep with your diet?